Refugee Rights Association (RRA) is interested to hire a Full-Time Legal Advisor for Strengthening Asylum in Cyprus project implemented in partnership with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Country Office in Cyprus.
Refugee Rights Association was established in 2009 to work against the shortcomings and violations regarding the right to asylum in the northern part of Cyprus and to provide legal and social support to refugees and asylum seekers. Over time the association extended its activities to include efforts to combat human trafficking and racism.
- Monitoring the prison, police stations, other places of detention, criminal courts and the military court in order to identify asylum seekers in risk of refoulement;
- Conducting interviews in the office, at ports of entry and at places of detention to identify international protection needs of asylum seekers;
- Representing asylum seekers and refugees during criminal proceedings for irregular entry or stay and during proceedings at the supreme administrative court with a view to prevent refoulement and to advance development and consistent interpretation and/or application of relevant legal standards;
- Conducting advocacy interventions through letters and petitions to the authorities;
- Providing information, counselling and assistance to asylum seekers and refugees on immigration related matters and on accessing rights conducive to their well-being and integration such as healthcare and employment;
- Contribute to monthly situation and narrative reporting of project activities;
- Providing comments on legislation and policy;
- Assisting the project coordinator with networking and advocacy.
Qualifications and Professional Experience Required:
- University degree in Law;
- Registration with the Turkish Cyprus Bar Association as a lawyer;
- Experience in working as a lawyer for at least two years;
- Post-graduate degree in Human Rights Law, Refugee Law, Administrative Law and additional training in human rights and international protection will be considered an asset;
- Experience in counselling and case management, working with vulnerable groups, working in a multi-cultural and multi-national context will be considered an asset.
- Teamwork & Collaboration: Ability to work effectively with people from different backgrounds and cultures
- Communication: Excellent writing and drafting skills; well-developed listening skills
- Analytical Thinking: Ability to conduct legal analysis, as well as analysis of the political and economic context;
- Technological awareness: Good computer skills, including excellent use of word processing and spreadsheet software;
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution skills: ability to enable the parties involved in a conflict to come to mutually acceptable compromises
- Client and result orientation: ensuring overall provision of quality service through effective management of internal and external resources
Language requirements: Excellent command of Turkish and English language; knowledge of an additional language, such as Arabic or French, would be considered an asset.
Other mandatory requirements:
- Ability to reside and work in the northern part of Cyprus at the time of application;
- Ability to cross the Green Line at the time of application.
- Car and driving license.
Applications must include a CV and cover letter in the English language.
Closing date: 07 September 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Send your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org